64 Old Church Street is a Grade II* listed residence, designed by Erich Mendelsohn and Serge Chermayeff in 1936. It has been a home and focus for the family of its current owner for more than 40 years.
During this time, the building has demonstrated its flexibility, adapting to accommodate the changing circumstances and needs of its occupants through a series of sensitive adjustments to the internal configuration of space that retain the essential spirit and character of the building.
In 1992, Sir Norman Foster and Partners were commissioned to design a new conservatory at the south end of the building, sympathetic in nature but clearly defined as a contemporary addition.
The design of a new prefabricated extension at the north end of the building at first floor provides self-contained living accommodation, whilst the main building has undergone sensitive external refurbishment.
The new intervention seeks to complement the existing building by following the tripartite vertical division and proportions of the glazing, whilst carefully maintaining the building’s asymmetry and clear segregation between old and new.